[FIXED] Help with Debian 6, Virtualmin and Quotas

UPDATE:

I have just received an update from Linode to say that this issue has now been fixed for new deployments of Debian 6.

For everyone with the issue on existing deployments, you need to run the following command:

ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root

(Substitue xvda with the device you are using as root, if needed)

Hi,

I had previuosly been running Ubuntu 10.04 with Virtualmin and everything worked fine. Virtualmin recently announced support for Debian 6, so I backed up all my data and sought to rebuild my linode with Debian 6.

Now there seems to be a problem, I'm not sure if it is a Linode one or a Virtualmin one, or a combination of both. I have found other Linode users have the same problem. Please see this thread on Virtualmin for the problem, including my comments:

http://www.virtualmin.com/node/17281

Thanks.

EDIT:

I opened a support ticket with Linode and got this response:
> I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having! However, it doesn't appear that /dev/root exists on our default Debian 6 distribution template:

=

debian:~# ls /dev/|grep root

debian:~#

=

I'm not specifically familiar with setting up quotas, however you may want to reach out to our active user community for assistance. Many of our customers are system administrators who can offer excellent advice. You can find more information about our forums and IRC channel at:

http://www.linode.com/community/

24 Replies

what does cat /proc/mounts show ?

I have the same problem exactly- my /proc/mounts shows:

linpear:~# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,data=writeback,usrquota,grpquota 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620 0 0

@bryantrv:

I have the same problem exactly- my /proc/mounts shows:

linpear:~# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,data=writeback,usrquota,grpquota 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620 0 0

Well you have /dev/root in /proc/mounts which is good does ls /dev | grep root come up empty for you too?

From what I've seen this only seems to affect people running Debian 6 at Linode. Could it be that there is a bug in their distro?

Or maybe just some config we need to set up that on the Linode distro isnt already done by default?

I believe a workaround is to create a dev/root symlink, but it doesnt seem like a proper fix.

@obs:

Well you have /dev/root in /proc/mounts which is good does ls /dev | grep root come up empty for you too?

Yes.

Alright I just installed debian 6 from the debian website on vmware and /dev/root is symlinked to /dev/sda so symlinking does seem like the correct fix (just to whatever your root device is in your case, probably /dev/xvda). One of you having problems could poke linode support with a pointy stick and ask them if they can add the symlink to their distro.

Ah so symlink is the correct fix. Ill update my ticket.

Thanks for the investigatory help!

Dumb question, but that would be :

ln -s /dev/root /dev/xvda wouldn't it? I try that and get a file exists error.

wrong way round it's ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root it's ln [source] [dest]

Thanks- I always have trouble with that, from the first time I tried to get the java plugin working on my local machine :).

I have had a reply back from Linode, their distro team is currently looking into it.

Well- no joy for me yet. It does get farther, but now gives this error:

Error: setquota: Cannot open quotafile //aquota.user: Permission denied

setquota: Not all specified mountpoints are using quota.

For me it's not a huge deal, just a pain.

I really don't understand why it is a Linode issue (though it does appear to be), because it was working fine before I upgraded to Squeeze, so I'm not using a Linode Debian 6 image, but a Debian 5 image upgraded.

I'm at work at the moment so cant test the symlink out, when I get back I'll see if just adding the symlink to a clean Deb 6 distro, fixes it.

@bryantrv:

Well- no joy for me yet. It does get farther, but now gives this error:

Error: setquota: Cannot open quotafile //aquota.user: Permission denied

setquota: Not all specified mountpoints are using quota.

For me it's not a huge deal, just a pain.

I really don't understand why it is a Linode issue (though it does appear to be), because it was working fine before I upgraded to Squeeze, so I'm not using a Linode Debian 6 image, but a Debian 5 image upgraded.

Just a quick thought, if you are using Deb 5 upgraded to 6, then that means it has nothing to do with the Deb 6 distro that Linode have…..

I'm getting more confused, lol.

what does ls -lh //aquota.user show?

I get:

ls: cannot access //aquota.user: No such file or directory

Actually, that was before I did a few things.

Since doing the symlink and starting the quota service, I can now successfully create virtual servers in virtualmin and i get

-rw------- 1 root root 7.0K Feb 24 18:03 //aquota.user

Has brantrv tried starting/restarting the quota service now the symlink is in place?

@obs:

what does ls -lh //aquota.user show?

I get

linpear:~# ls -lh //aquota.user
-rw------- 1 root root 10K Dec 28 01:20 //aquota.user

Sorry- double post with a forums error- Could not connect to smtp host : mail.linode.com : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 112

File : smtp.php

@alexp999:

Has brantrv tried starting/restarting the quota service now the symlink is in place?

Aha- did that and everything works. Oddly, I have quotas turned off in the webmin configuration.

bryantrv did you try restarting the quota service (or rebooting) like alexp999 said?

Seems like its just an issue of a missing symlink, hopefully Linode will update thier Debian 6 distro.

Hate to drag up an old thread, but I am having the same problem but in Centos. I created a symlink ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root and everything works, however the symlink disappears during reboot.

Any ideas?

I don't know what I was thinking, /dev is memory and of course a symlink would be removed during reboot.

I added ln -s /dev/xvda /dev/root to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and its reloaded on boot.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct