Website disappeared after accepting offer to free upgrade

Hi all

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I am in the correct area!

I have been running my web site off the IP address for over a month with no problems and about a week ago I directed the web name to the same IP address. Everything went smoothly and everything worked. Then today when I logged in I saw the message about about a free upgrade so thought this looks good and accepted.

Now I can not get to either the web site or the IP address.

The access to ssh and directly to the linode manager still work

The web site is ebhc2014.org

I am running Ubuntu 12.04, Apache2, Mysql, etc

The apache server is up and running as is Mysql and Varnish.

Anyone any idea what has gone wrong?

Regards

From Rural France

I forgot to add that I also resized the disks if that is relevant

7 Replies

SSH can be reached, so log in to the linode and check if the correct service is listening on the IP of your linode (or 0.0.0.0). If it is not, you found the issue. If it is, check things like the firewall logs (iptables -vnL) // other logs (/var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages are often used to log both firewall messages and other important events.

@Nuvini:

SSH can be reached, so log in to the linode and check if the correct service is listening on the IP of your linode (or 0.0.0.0).

Good advice from Nuvini - in case you're not familiar with the networking tools, netstat -lvpnut will show what services are listening.

Thanks both

Ran netstat but found that it was probably more than a minor difficulty. so I contacted Linode support. Who I must say are amongst the best that I have dealt with.

Anyway we found that the problem was a conflict over ports between Apache and Varnish. How this happened when it had been running very smoothly before I do not know. But everything is now up and working again much to my great relief.

Thanks again

You had probably made a change but not rebooted since the change. Migration causes a reboot and so the problem appeared.

This is actually a common problem in the SA world; where I work we require production machines to be rebooted every quarter to ensure that they come up cleanly and any issues are detected before there's a major issue (eg datacenter outage). We have 50,000+ unix machines so that's a lot of reboots!

I have 7 websites running off my linode.

I have been a Linode customer for over 3 years…no issues of note…

After accepting the free recent upgrade I find I have had to reboot my server 4 or 5 times in recent days to restore the sites…

This situation and action never happened before I accepted the upgrade.

Any advice would be much appreciated before I enter an official ticket.

@mrneilypops:

I have 7 websites running off my linode.

I have been a Linode customer for over 3 years…no issues of note…

After accepting the free recent upgrade I find I have had to reboot my server 4 or 5 times in recent days to restore the sites…

This situation and action never happened before I accepted the upgrade.

Any advice would be much appreciated before I enter an official ticket.

So you kept rebooting until the issues were gone? That doesn't seem like a very good troubleshooting method…

What you needed to do was figure out what was actually going wrong. Was the webserver up? Was PHP(or whatever you use) up? Were your requests reaching the vhosts? Was it reaching your PHP interpreter? Was the SQL daemon up/running? Were your applications able to connect with SQL? What errors did you get? What did the logfiles say?

If the issues are fixed now after rebooting so often there's probably little you can do to troubleshoot these issues now. It's much easier to do so as-they-happen, and not afterwards once it is fixed. Make sure to give it another reboot now and see if things stay fixed.

@Nuvini

Thanks for the advice.

Hmm…I am such an amateur but willing to learn…

Next time I will investigate more thoroughly.

Having said the above Linode has just worked up to now (last 5 years or so /off and on)…maybe I was getting lazy…

I will try and update the thread with future findings.

'Things' are fixed now after another reboot and Linode is super fast as ever.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct