Linode Forum
Linode Community Forums
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MembersMembers      Register Register 
 LoginLogin [ Anonymous ] 
 Post subject: Everyone Has Same IP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 am 

I recently migrated my site from an Ubuntu 14.04 installation with apache2 to an Ubuntu 16.04 installation with apache2 + nginx using VestaCP. Aside from a few hiccups everything seemed to be working fine until I realized no one could register on my forums because "there has already been a new registration from your ip address". I then noticed that listed under Who's Online of the forums that everyone had the same IP, the IP of my site.

The only thing I can think of is that this is a reverse proxy problem. Since I host on Linode I have reverse proxy set up through the DNS in the dashboard, and I believe nginx is also doing a reverse proxy so I can only assume there is some sort of conflict.

How do I disable the reverse proxy of nginx to (hopefully) fix the problem? Or would it be better to disable the reverse proxy in the DNS manager of my Linode?

Post subject: Re: Everyone Has Same IP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:04 pm 

I was able to resolve the issue but using a strict IP check in the forums. It was a setting that was disabled and never needed to be on before but I guess it's needed now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am 

The Same Issue I also faced when I migrated from Ubuntu 14.04 to 17.04. any one has the reliable solution to this so share with detailed steps. thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:38 am 

Facing such problems is not a big deal in Ubuntu..probably when we try to migrate from one version to the other, there is some installation errors or errors that occur during updating the firmware, which automatically to this condition. I'll suggest taking help from online "how tos" and tutorials just when you're going to update or install it.

Last edited by umerali on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 pm 
Senior Newbie

When using nginx as a reverse proxy all IP Addresses in your logs will be the same as the downstream server will only see the connection from nginx. To fix this you need to make a few changes to your nginx config.
Add the following to your nginx config for the domain/site you are using.
Code:
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header x-forwarded-for $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
Once the code is added nginx should pass along the IP Address of the user to your downstream server via the x-forwarded-for header as long as your downstream server supports that header.