Absolute novice - point Linode hosted URL to new website on other host.

I'm an absolute novice at anything Linux or Linode related, so apologies in advance.

A previous web developer set up our website and URL on Linode, but we have a new website being built hosted on Bluehost. Unfortunately, the access password to transfer the URL is long gone and we have no access to the email address it was registered with either. So I'd like to keep the URL on Linode and just point it at Bluehost and the new website.

Bearing in mind that I'm an absolute novice (and in completely over my head with a job I thought would be simple) can someone please explain to me how to do this?

I would really appreciate the help on this. Thank you.

3 Replies

You will absolutely need to gain control of your domain name at your domain registrar. Eventually it will expire and will no longer work. The correct approach is to work with your domain registrar to get control over the domain name, and then change the name servers to point to your new hosting.

In the meantime, you can change DNS within the Linode manager to point to your new host's IP address. In this case, you will still be using Linode's DNS services. I cannot stress enough that this is only a temporary solution.

If you don't know who your registrar is, you can go to:

https://whois.icann.org/en

That will also confirm if you're using Linode's DNS Manager. If so, under name servers you'll see some/all of these listed:

NS1.LINODE.COM

NS2.LINODE.COM

NS3.LINODE.COM

NS4.LINODE.COM

NS5.LINODE.COM

If you see something else under name servers, that means the DNS is not using linode's.

Also unless it's been changed recently, you need to be a paying customer to use the dns manager.

So if you don't have any servers with Linode, it won't serve any zones for your domain.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct