Domain returns “ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED” although reverse DNS works fine

I have a linode running with Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS with apache2.4 and a VirtualHost that should connect my domain physicsinsider.com to a given subfolder /var/www/html/physicsinsider.com/public_html

My problem is that when I try to open my domain in a browser I get the error

ERRNAMERESOLUTION_FAILED

Now, I'm fairly new to having my own server, but to me "in principle" everything looks fine:

apache2ctl -S tells me that my VirtualHost configuration is okay.

The DNS configuration looks good, for example, https://mxtoolbox.com/ returns the correct Linode Nameservers. In addition, the Linode DNS Check tells me

Your zone looks good!

zone physicsinsider.com/IN: loaded serial 2017031233

OK

What is especially confusing is that I have set up Reverse DNS for the IP address of my server such that it points to my domain. This Reverse DNS works perfectly, although my domain itself doesn't work.

When I call the IP address of my server it shows me successfully the index.html file that lies in the /var/www/html/physicsinsider.com/public_html folder. This folder is only specified in the VirtualHost

physicsinsider.com.conf

file. I checked this by changing the folder and the file.

Therefore, when I call the IP of my server in my browser he is able to connect this to physicsinsider.com and the corresponding folder+file. But when I call my domain directly I get an error. ( I used additionally NSLOOKUP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX to verify that I get physicsinsider.com. However, when I try NSLOOKUP physicsinsider.com I get "physicsinsider.com was not found by Unknown").

What could be the cause for this error?

PS: I have several other sites running successfully on the same linode with exactly the same set up. In addition, I also deleted everything and started from scratch 4 times, but my domain remains unavailable. Any ideas which part of the set up could be configured wrongly would be awesome.

1 Reply

I get the php info page at both physicsinsider.com and www.physicsinsider.com and the apache default page at your IP address.

You probably just needed to wait for the DNS propagation time (24H usually).

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct