Email relay question

I have an issue with emails not going out. I am on a Linux 4.4.0-98-generic on x86_64, running virtualmin on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.

I can receive email in and send email via an email account hosted on the server but cannot send email out via an application on my server. The message is

reject: RCPT from Mynewserver.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 454 4.7.1 <someone@gmail.com>: Relay access denied; from=<info@domainonmyserver.com> to=<someone@gmail.com> proto=ESMTP helo= I have been trying to find an answer to fix this issue for 3 days now. Postfix and Dovecot do not supply much help online.

I want to be able to send emails out from applications running on my server. What typically causes the relay to not happen. Is it on my server or the receiving server?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob

2 Replies

Your application does not authenticate against your SMTP server. You need to either force it to authenticate on SMTP level, or add an IP exception to postfix configuration to consider the application's server a part of trusted network that does not require authentication.

And to accomplish the latter, make sure permitmynetworks is specified in smtpdrelayrestrictions (or smtpdrecipientrestrictions). Look for the entry that already includes permitsasl_authenticated - those messages seem to be going through OK.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct