remove Ubuntu kernel?

Since I can remember, I have been updating my Ubuntu kernel, which then requires a reboot. I do not mean the kernel provided by Linode which is my boot kernel, now a KVM kernel and at Latest 64 bit (4.8.3-x86_64-linode76), which I also have to reboot to get installed.

I'm now running 16.04. I just tried to use the new snap feature, but it failed. I got my Ubuntu One key, but it failed before I could use it. See below.

The issue is that I do not think I need this kernel as I am using the Linode kernel? Is this correct? If so, what do I remove/purge to get rid of my Ubuntu kernel, without creating any problems? I think that some years ago when I first set up Linode, I wanted the current linux headers which I thought might be important for development, so I installed a bunch of stuff at that time.

Setup snap "ubuntu-core" (423) security profiles (no state entry for key)

• Setup snap "canonical-livepatch" (15) security profiles (cannot setup apparmor for snap "canonical-livepatch": cannot load apparmor profile "snap.canonical-livepatch.canonical-livepatch": cannot load apparmor profile: exit status 1

apparmor_parser output:

Cache read/write disabled: interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)

Warning: unable to find a suitable fs in /proc/mounts, is it mounted?

Use –subdomainfs to override.

)

• Setup snap "canonical-livepatch" (15) security profiles (cannot load apparmor profile "snap.canonical-livepatch.canonical-livepatch": cannot load apparmor profile: exit status 1

apparmor_parser output:

Cache read/write disabled: interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)

Warning: unable to find a suitable fs in /proc/mounts, is it mounted?

Use --subdomainfs to override.

3 Replies

If the snap service requires a feature that isn't in the Linode kernel, you can use a distribution-supplied kernel instead.

If you continue to use the Linode kernel, there's nothing wrong with having the distribution kernel installed - it just takes a little disk space. The package manager may not like it if you try to remove it, depending on how the dependencies are set up.

@Vance:

If the snap service requires a feature that isn't in the Linode kernel, you can use a distribution-supplied kernel instead.

If you continue to use the Linode kernel, there's nothing wrong with having the distribution kernel installed - it just takes a little disk space. The package manager may not like it if you try to remove it, depending on how the dependencies are set up.

Thanks for your link and help. I want to stay with the Latest Linode kernel, not select GRUB 2 which I would install and have to update myself. I also sense it would not be a good idea to purge/remove my installed kernel since there may be some dependencies.

So, for now at least, I guess I'll stick with rebooting whenever my Ubuntu kernel updates, as well as rebooting when I see that Linode has updated its latest KVM kernel (I have that set on my RSS).

Thanks.

Lester

That works. Note that if you are using the Linode kernel, there's no need to reboot when your Ubuntu kernel updates - it's not doing anything. You only have to worry about the Linode kernel updates.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct