Disable kdump?

Is it reasonable for me to disable kdump?

My image is deployed from CentOS 7. systemctl shows that kdump.service failed, and "systemctl status kdump" shows "Error: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.15-x86_64-linode81 not found."

I surmise that kdump needs a copy of the running kernel in /boot and the default CentOS deployment lacks that. The VM config is set to use latest 64-bit kernel.

I don't think it's likely that I'll need to analyze a kernel dump so I'm thinking I should just disable that feature. If I do need it, how would I get a copy of the vmlinuz file to copy to /boot?

2 Replies

> I don't think it's likely that I'll need to analyze a kernel dump so I'm thinking I should just disable that feature. If I do need it, how would I get a copy of the vmlinuz file to copy to /boot?
Try installing the distro provided kernel and select GRUB2 as the "kernel" in the Configuration Profile section of Linode panel control.

Then your grub.cfg will be used, which in turn will make your installed kernel the one to be used, not the one provided externally by Linode.

This seems a leftover from Xen to me. Since we have already switched to KVM, it would be more "mainstream" if Linode used the distro provided kernel by default.

> This seems a leftover from Xen to me. Since we have already switched to KVM, it would be more "mainstream" if Linode used the distro provided kernel by default.

That's a great point. Personally, I use distro-supplied kernels in all of my servers right now. Maybe it's just in my head but I feel like the distro would run better, or at least, more stable, that way.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct