Welcome to the Community Site!

You've been redirected here from forum.linode.com. This is your new place to find answers, ask questions, and help others.

Join our Community
X

Seeking help testing Linode speeds

Hi all,

I'm living in China, and recently my various VPNs and other methods I use to bypass the Glorious Golden Shield Project (aka: the great firewall) have either become frustratingly slow or ceased working entirely.

I am now looking to deploy my own shadowsocks proxy in a neighbouring country, as I've heard from local and foreign sources that the government has yet to effectively censor shadowsocks.

I am having trouble testing connection speed to Linode's servers - I tried downloading the test 100MB files from the resources –> speed test area of Linode's website, but my download speeds were suspiciously fast, and a Wireshark capture + geoip lookup confirmed that I was simply downloading a cached copy from my ISP (I have no idea why they would cache such files).

Can anyone suggest a better way to test connection quality to Linode's servers in Tokyo and/or Singapore?

Thanks in advance!

0 Replies

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct