Glish resolution

I find Glish (the graphical, webbased way of accessing the GUI) very convenient. However, the resolution is very limited and the maximum I can set through the Gnome configuration utility is 1280x768.

Is there some way to get a higher resolution?

1 Reply

Hello,

Currently, the GLISH console does not support resolutions higher than 1280x768. However, if you would like to install VNCServer on your Linode and connect to it with something like VNCViewer, it is possible to change the resolutions to your liking.

Our guide here will help you get VNC setup and running. Once you have VNC running, you can change the output resolution by following these steps:

1. Start your VNC Server:

Enter the following command to start a VNCServer instance:

vncserver

After entering this you will see output that looks like the following:

New 'vncserver:2 (root)' desktop is vncserver:2

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/vncserver:2.log

Here,
vncserver is the hostname, and
:2 is the VNC Display Number.

2. Kill the VNCServer:

Enter the following command, inserting the VNC Display Number that you seen while starting the server. In our example here, this would be ":2"

# vncserver -kill [VNC Display Number]

3. Start the VNC server, this time with your desired resolution:

Enter the following command to start the VNCServer with your desired output resolution:

vncserver -geometry 1280x1024

I'm using 1280x1024 as an example. This can be whatever you like.

4. Connect to your server:

Once you perform these steps, connect to your VNCServer and you'll see the outputted resolution that you defined.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct