Is it easy to test an upgrade with cloning?

Hi Everyone!

I need to try and upgrade to my Debian OpenSSL part of my operating system and it might break my system. Would I be able to use the Clone section to clone this XEN instance and try my upgrades on the live server and then if they don't work, copy back the cloned version that I made before the upgrade? Thank you.

2 Replies

It might make more sense to clone your server and then make your changes to the clone. If it tests out OK, then you can swap IP addresses between the live server and the clone and then delete the old server. This way, you should see essentially no downtime.

I am not sure if there are any problems relating to cloning the older Xen-based Linodes. It would be a good idea to put in a support ticket describing what you want to do to verify it will work.

Thanks Vance! I'll try that out, much appreciated.

@Vance:

It might make more sense to clone your server and then make your changes to the clone. If it tests out OK, then you can swap IP addresses between the live server and the clone and then delete the old server. This way, you should see essentially no downtime.

I am not sure if there are any problems relating to cloning the older Xen-based Linodes. It would be a good idea to put in a support ticket describing what you want to do to verify it will work.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct