Good place to get domains cheap for Linode?

Edit: After searching around, I figured it out, however… Still not sure exactly how DNS works.

Anyone like to chime in who they prefer? I used Namecheap in the past.

Not exactly sure the best way to work with domains here… Honestly, don't know much about domains.

4 Replies

Ok, what did I screw up here… When I enable the first site, it works, then when I enable the subdomain site, it takes over both urls… So mainsite.net and subdomain.mainsite.net both access the subdomains directory…

<directory var="" www="" html="" mainsite.net="" public_html="">Require all granted</directory> 

<virtualhost *:80="">ServerAlias www.mainsite.net
    ServerName mainsite.net

ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/mainsite.net/public_html</virtualhost> 
 <directory var="" www="" html="" subdomain.mainsite.net="" public_html="">Require all granted</directory> 

<virtualhost *:80="">ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

ServerName subdomain.mainsite.net
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/subdomain.mainsite.net/public_html</virtualhost> 

Ok, got it fixed…

Woot, I'm live… Just need to install phpMyAdmin, Java, and ready to roll…

I have been using Cheap-DomainRegistration.com for many years for several names and have had no problem with them.

Jack Waugh

> Still not sure exactly how DNS works.

There's a lot going on on the DNS side of things, but it seems like you're more interested in the DNS side of things between the registrar (company you bought the domain from), your server + its IP address, and when users will access your site on your server using that domain in the address bar. I'll try to provide a digestible explanation:

First thing to keep in mind, this is how the traffic works on a basic level when someone looks up your domain:

Search query for your domain > takes them to > registrar's records of the domain > which helps them find > DNS information > points them to > server that has the site > site is now reached.

The registrar has the domain info, when a user looks up that domain the request goes to the registrar for where the site should be at. This is where the nameservers become important. The nameservers are where your DNS records are held, for example, putting in "ns1-ns5.linode.com" for the nameservers will mean the DNS hosted at Linode.com will the information used. You can have 5 DNS records set up with at different DNS providers, but the only one that will be used is the one indicated at the registrar.

Changing these records takes time to propagate, spreading the updated information everywhere. If you recently made a change in the records and the site's not showing the info you expect, then there's a chance not enough time has passed.

Your DNS records need to have values in them, such as "domain.com A 123.345.456.567". This would mean that when someone looks up domain.com, they're going to be taken to 123.345.456.567 to find it. As long as that server with that IP address has the info and is set up correctly and the DNS has propagated, that site will be served!

If you'd like more reading on this, this doc does a good job with explaining:

https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/ … roduction/">https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/dns/dns-records-an-introduction/

Good luck!

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct