Email hosting alternatives

I'm in the process of moving several websites to Linode but I don't want to get into the pain of running my own mailserver for the various domains.

Just wondering what do fellow Linoder customers do for their email hosting?

11 Replies

I use MXRoute for some of my domains (the others are self-hosted with Mail in a Box). It looks like they're still offering the promo I used: $40 for two years of 40Gig storage on unlimited domains.

I use Zoho.

You shoukld check if t meets your needs.

https://www.zoho.com

I'm a bit off-topic…

But why is running your own email server a pain? All you need is a CentOS server with Postfix and Dovecot. Easy peasy to setup and run, with their own ssl/tls certificates, spam protection, firewall etc. I personally use this script for this kind of job.

I've also use cPanel, which comes with Exim instead of Postfix, but the rest is the same (dovecot, spamassassin, roundcube, etc).

CentOS is a highly stable linux distro, rpm-based and in my opinion, much better suited for a server than the other linux distros. I also use FreeBSD, but that is another animal altogether and for different kind of work.

Guys thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

MXRoute looks very appealing but I'm tempted to spin-up another Linode and try Aetelos.

@farnet:

Guys thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

MXRoute looks very appealing but I'm tempted to spin-up another Linode and try Aetelos.

Postfix/Dovecot/MySQL (No user limit, except the processing my Linode can do.)

I am loving Migadu at the moment. Unlimited domains and mailbox sizes, they only charge for sending volume. I have a few low traffic customers on it and have had no complains.

I guess my reluctance to self-host my email is that I've tried in the past and only had partial​ success.

I've tried using plain postfix/dovecot, virtualmin, cpanel and plesk on a VPS and sending emails to my employer email never get through but they get through fine to other places like googlemail, webfaction mailboxes etc.

MXRoute was a great suggestion. It looks like they always have good deals: https://billing.mxroute.com/announcements.php

Their knowledgebase docs are pretty hysterical too which is always nice.

I just set up iredmail, I run dozens of those on Linode and they all work well.

@farnet:

I guess my reluctance to self-host my email is that I've tried in the past and only had partial​ success.

I've tried using plain postfix/dovecot, virtualmin, cpanel and plesk on a VPS and sending emails to my employer email never get through but they get through fine to other places like googlemail, webfaction mailboxes etc.

This is understandable, but once you do the basic minimum with e.g. iredmail it works smoothly. My main checklist is:

1) Check the Linode IP isn't listed in RBLs

2) Set up DNS PTR, SPF and DKIM

3) Sign up for Microsoft JMRP

4) Turn off greylisting

5) Tighten firewalling

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct