Migrating from Rackspace

I have 14 servers on Rackspace and would like to move most of them to Linode.

I've tried with a couple (I used to have 16 at Rackspace) to test the process and we are happy with the performance on Linode it just takes a while to move things over and get them set up again. I have just done it from a clean install of CentOS 7, install as much as possible via yum, copying the files across and the database. Its been OK as they are just websites but other servers run a number of other applications and it would take a while and a careful checklist to make sure everything and all the configuration and settings come across as well.

Is there a way that I can make images from Rackspace servers and install them on Linode? Is there an alternative recommended migration option?

Thanks

Nick

1 Reply

Are the servers you're using on Rackspace VPSs? If so, then yes, Linux servers are Linux servers at the end of the day. You can use dd to make .img files from your disk on Rackspace and then use dd back on Linode.

Alternatively, if you wanted to spend a few bucks Linode offers Professional Services that could probably do all of the work for you.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct