How can I guarantee that someone else won't use my domain?

Hello! I'm new to servers, hosting and domain names.

I bought a domain name before 4-5 days and I hosted it on a free hosting service.

Today I rented my first server, here on linode because I wanted to work with tmux&vim sessions as well as to host my website.

So I changed the name servers of my domain from the free hosting service to the linode name servers:

ns1.linode.com

ns2.linode.com

ns3.linode.com

ns4.linode.com

ns5.linode.com

Then I went to the DNS Manager tab at the linode Manager and added a domain zone and then I went to the reverse DNS of my server and added the domain.

It works as it should.

My concern is:

If I use the name servers of linode for my domain, but I haven't created a new domain zone yet then someone else can create a new domain zone, before me, with my domain and use it as their own?

2 Replies

Yes, though Linode can use the domain whois information to verify who really owns the domain in case this does happen. You should always create the domain in the DNS Manager before you change the nameservers to Linode.

@dwfreed:

Yes, though Linode can use the domain whois information to verify who really owns the domain in case this does happen. You should always create the domain in the DNS Manager before you change the nameservers to Linode.

Thanks for the fast reply! :)

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct