How to protect my sites from accessing other sites on the same linode?

A few years ago I was hacked by a faulty Wordpress plugin. On another host. The hacker was able to access all of my sites located else where in the server.

I've followed the Linode guides, set up my site, and all is well. Now I want to make some more sites, some wordpress. Is the default configuration enough, so that in the event the hacker is able to have access to the website, and upload some malicious file, that he won't have access to my other sites hosted on the same linode?

How do I prevent someone from accessing anything else other than the folder where that website is stored at?

If one of my sites does get infected, I don't want my other sites to get infected.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Also, I ran this command to help me update my Wordpress sites right on the dahboard. Will this command put me at risk in any way?

> chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html/domain.com/public_html

1 Reply

There are many methods that offer isolation of hosted websites within the same server. The more of these methods you use the better you are protected against attacks from within.

For example, I never use the old method of hosting under all sites under /var/www/html, instead I prefer the method of isolating each site within a real user account under /home/example.tld/www/

Another example, is to setup Apache to run per user account privileges, I use httpd-itk for that.

CentOS provides SELinux security, which is excellent at mitigating internal attacks and helps restrict what a user account can do.

On the PHP level, it is easy to disable almost all the sensitive functions, like exec() from the /etc/php.ini file, definitely worth doing because almost all hack scripts use those to remotely download and execute malware code. If your websites are built by you, then you can easily remove tons of functions, like curl, but you need to know what you are doing because you may break things for wordpress.

I use an automated script to setup everything, which is Aetolos. Another thing I use to setup servers is of course Ansible.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct