Are My Linodes on same physical machine??

Is there a way I can keep my linodes on different physical machines in same datacenter? How to check them if they are on different machines?

This is important because, we notice sometimes Linode palnned maintenance downtime. If all my linodes are on same machine all my services goes down during the linode planned maintenance of that machine.

It is very important to maintain zero-downtime to my customers, so if one physical machine goes down, we can run our service from another physical machine, if my linodes on different machines.

At this point of time we can't afford to run a copy of services on another datacenter. Let me know your suggestions, options, opinions etc.

Thanks in advance

Sandeep

4 Replies

It says in the manager on the individual linode page which host that specific one is on. e.g. dallas974. Right side of the page under the storage/backup sections.

You can also open a ticket and ask support.

This is no longer available on the new interface… On the new linode inteface how can this be found ?

@josepato

Yeah this isn’t available any more in Cloud Manager, although there is a way to find it using the Linode Shell.

Connect to LISH and type the name of one of your Linodes; press ENTER.

When you see your Linode’s console, press CTRL+A, followed by D, and you will see a prompt like this:

[detached from 84850.linodeXXXXXXXX]
[linodeXXXXXXXX@h1442-lon1 lish]#

In this case, “h1442-lon1” is the physical machine.

Here’s another of my Linodes:

[detached from 57992.linodeXXXXXXXX]
[linodeXXXXXXXX@h1300-lon1 lish]#

So I can see they’re on different physical machines - h1442-lon1 and h1300-lon1.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct