The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

It’s been one week since I setup my account with Linode, while I am an experienced hoster and had my own reseller hosting company 10 years ago. I have always found it hard to find a good host.

I went from Dedicated to VPS then to Shared then Cloud, Linode has given me the chance to move back to VPS (Using Linux is nice, compared to my day job as a Systems Administrator for mostly Windows Servers).

I have been with multiple VPS providers when I tested the water back then, my favourite is ServInt. However the prices are far too high, I tried MemSet as being in hosted in the UK was important for me. I did try the RackSpace cloud servers but found this wouldn't let you use it as a mail server, because of the IP nature and clouds.

I then went to shared hosting, found all the limitations as you do with these accounts and grunted it for 1 year, but I am back with Linode!

1 Week on and Linode seem to have kept my business (which is hard), the control panel does what it is supposed to do, easy to navigate. The support I have received is very fast and has been a pleasant experience.

The VPS itself has given me no problems, no downtime yet and yes this is early days.

The best thing about Linode is the community and the documentation area that helps setup almost every type of Linux server. Very useful as I been out the loop for a while.

The Good:

Good price, good control panel, good support, better yet hosted in the UK! (I would like to know if it’s in London or Slough though?)

The Bad:

None a week on, but I am sure something will pop up, it depends if "the what" is acceptable when it occurs

The Ugly:

No complaints at current.

I will keep this post updated.

18 Replies

@AndrewMakowsky:

The Good:

Good price, good control panel, good support, better yet hosted in the UK! (I would like to know if it’s in London or Slough though

The infrastructure service is provided by TelecityGroup in London.

Edit: Linode Colocation Case study.

@advocatux:

@AndrewMakowsky:

The Good:

Good price, good control panel, good support, better yet hosted in the UK! (I would like to know if it’s in London or Slough though

The infrastructure service is provided by TelecityGroup in London.

Edit: Linode Colocation Case study.

Thank you :)

@AndrewMakowsky: it's been some more time now… Can I ask you to update on your satisfaction with Linode??

Thanks in advance!!

@virneto:

@AndrewMakowsky: it's been some more time now… Can I ask you to update on your satisfaction with Linode??

Thanks in advance!!

Since he hasn't logged in since November 2, 2011, I wouldn't expect an answer…

@glg:

Since he hasn't logged in since November 2, 2011, I wouldn't expect an answer…

:oops:

@virneto:

Thanks in advance!!
Still very good, no complaints! 8)

So I left Linode for a short period whilst trying some big dedicated server providers, but yet again come back to Linode for the professional service.

I have been back with Linode for over 4 months now and as usual, support tickets are still handled very quick and this trend in other hosting providers seems to slip at the waist side when customer base grows… Not true for Linode, quick and helpful even for none related tasks!

Uptime… well its easier to mention downtime = None.

It's nice to get what you pay for, a premium VPS provider!

@zunzun:

Since I'm not good, and I'm not bad, then logically I must be - hmmm.

James
Welcome to the club, zunzun. We are the majority, and that's the ugly truth ;-)

MSJ

Well, I’ve moved in last December 2012 ;)

My first (production) experience on any service provider ;)

No headaches on setting up CentOs server (imagine that for an absolute beginner)!

No disappointments!

No need for support team…

No downtime EVER AT ALL!!!!

My only concern since I’ve arrived to Linode was this ~~[https://blog.linode.com/2013/04/16/security-incident-update/" target="_blank">](https://blog.linode.com/2013/04/16/secu … nt-update/">https://blog.linode.com/2013/04/16/security-incident-update/]( security incident! However, I’m paying attention…

Ps. I’m planning on opening my first Support Ticket just to figure out how I will renew my Linode 512 as it seems there are not more of those! ;)

Best Regards to you all!!

Virneto

@virneto:

Ps. I’m planning on opening my first Support Ticket just to figure out how I will renew my Linode 512 as it seems there are not more of those! ;)

Best Regards to you all!!

Virneto

Log in to your Linode Manager and select the 512 Linode. You can queue up for a free upgrade to a Linode 1024.

@Nuvini:

(…) You can queue up for a free upgrade to a Linode 1024.

Well thank ya!!

That one passed me.. I’ll just check before doing it!

But seriously!! I was already in love with Linode!!

:lol:

@zunzun:

In re-reading this poem, I realized that I did not know what a dyad was. From Wikipedia:

"A dyad is a component of the dyadic (a monomial of the sum or equivalently entry of the matrix) - the juxtaposition of a pair of basis vectors scalar multiplied by a number."

Just clearing that up for everyone since it might have been a little bit unclear.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyad_produ … dean_space">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyadproduct#Three-dimensionalEuclidean_space

James

rofl

@zunzun:

It is funny. In some places Wikipedia has become an outlet for very bright, strongly socially impaired people to be publicly correct - and the learning of others be damned.

James

Laudable efforts, James. Much appreciated, thank you.

@zunzun:

It is funny. In some places Wikipedia has become an outlet for very bright, strongly socially impaired people to be publicly correct - and the learning of others be damned.

James

All the math pages on wikipedia read like that, I find them utterly pointless. It's like learning Chinese by reading a Chinese dictionary, you won't learn anything.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct