There goes my uptime...

…but after the reboot I get 8 gigs more disk space, thanks to the Christmas present from Linode.

2013-03-13 22:06:24 sunny@linode:~
$ uprecords 
     #               Uptime | System                                     Boot up
----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
->   1   525 days, 23:42:50 | Linux 2.6.39.1-linode34   Tue Oct  4 23:23:45 2011
     2   337 days, 04:21:55 | Linux 2.6.32.16-linode28  Mon Nov  1 17:56:52 2010
----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
NewRec   188 days, 19:20:54 | since                     Thu Sep  6 03:45:40 2012
    up   863 days, 04:04:45 | since                     Mon Nov  1 17:56:52 2010
  down     0 days, 00:04:58 | since                     Mon Nov  1 17:56:52 2010
   %up              100.000 | since                     Mon Nov  1 17:56:52 2010
2013-03-13 22:06:35 sunny@linode:~
$ 

Oh, and don't get fooled by that reboot in October 2011. That was the previous time I got more hard disk space. So it has actually been up 863 days without any problems.

Thanks for a great and amazingly stable service, Linode. :D

P.S. Anyone else with nice uptimes?

26 Replies

nahh i reboot often to get things like kernel updates and flush things out.

I'll wait for the final two "nextgen" phases before rebooting :P

@sunny256:

Naw, I drive a R8 so I don't need to do the geek uptime dick waving thang.

~~![](<URL url=)http://www.exoticspotter.com/images/89/88107.jpg" />

//ok, my WIFE drives the R8 (I usually jog or bike to work)//~~

@Guspaz:

I'll wait for the final two "nextgen" phases before rebooting :P

while true
do
  sleep 3600
  wget http://blog.linode.com/ -o /dev/null -O new
  if [[ -f old ]]
  then
    cmp -s old new || ( mv -f new old ; shutdown -r now )
  else
    mv new old
  fi
done

~~![](<URL url=)http://memesly.com/media/created/p6acmu.jpg" />

Whatever will I do with 8 cores and all that bandwidth?

I can't wait to see what phase 3 is.~~

@sednet:

I can't wait to see what phase 3 is.

The hamsters are given new wheels!

Hrrm, not thrilled with phase 2. CPU performance was the one thing that absolutely nobody but zunzun complained about. I was expecting something like disk or RAM to get a big bump, particularly since disk space seems to be the number one customer complaint.

Most linode customers will, I think, get no benefit from the CPU upgrades, but there's a bunch of stuff we'd like to do that's not possible with our linode today due to disk space.

Network and CPU upgrades are great, but RAM is the only thing that is making me consider switching. If it doesn't happen in round 3, I'll give it maybe 6 months, then I may have to split …

Ram Upgrades | Date | Elapsed Time

??% -> ??? | ???? ???? | 2 years 10 months and counting …

42% -> 512mb | June 2010 | 2 years 6 months

20% -> 360mb | Dec 2007 | 3 months

17% -> 300mb | Sept 2007 | 6 months

100%-> 256mb | Mar 2007 | 2 months

28% -> 128bm | Jan 2007 | 7 months

25% -> 100mb | June 2006 | 9 months

25% -> 80mb | Sept 2005 |

@deadwalrus:

Network and CPU upgrades are great, but RAM is the only thing that is making me consider switching. If it doesn't happen in round 3, I'll give it maybe 6 months, then I may have to split …

I agree about RAM, it's the only thing I'm really pressed for right now. Hopefully this will get a bump with the new hardware.

More disk would be great but I find that either I need a machine with a few GB or with a few TB and rarely anything in between.

Which reminds me that I meant to play with s3fs on Linode.

For me, the CPU bump was awesome - but that's mainly because the machine that benefited most from it (a Linode 1536) hosts a small but very high traffic set of php scripts. So for me the extra four cores have made a noticeable impact on that and my two other "bigger" Linodes. That one had a ~800 day uptime, mainly because of the traffic and not needing any of the previous free upgrades. This gave me a chance to not only get more CPU but to finally update the kernel and update to the latest Ubuntu LTS.

Memory would be nice, sure, especially on my shell Linode (512) that's basically running maxed all the time. I suppose I could just man up and pay for a little more, but I've already had two free bumps so why not wait? :)

The extra cores don't do a lot for me but I would like the faster ones as they'll help out with response time. Anyone have any idea what the downtime will be like to migrate from the old hardware to the new?

I'm crossing my fingers for more RAM or the ability to add extra disk space at a reasonable price for the 3rd phase. E5 servers have a much higher RAM density than the older L5xx boxes so it should be possible without increasing costs on new hardware.

@jasonlitka:

The extra cores don't do a lot for me but I would like the faster ones as they'll help out with response time. Anyone have any idea what the downtime will be like to migrate from the old hardware to the new?
A minute or two per GB of disk image.

@mnordhoff:

@jasonlitka:

A minute or two per GB of disk image.

Good to know. Thanks.

@Guspaz:

Most linode customers will, I think, get no benefit from the CPU upgrades…

True, but in my specific case testing has shown that my web site is easily twice as fast now. I moved to SMP multicore parallel processing years ago, and this is like a dream come true for me. The upcoming faster hardware will probably give me gooey pants as well - when that happens, I predict that my wife will have to wash the bedsheets far more often than she does now.

See http://zunzun.com for the site.

James

> when that happens, I predict that my wife will have to wash the bedsheets far more often than she does now.

I need an adult!!

@hoopycat:

I need an adult!!

He's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast. And he's gotta be fresh from the fight.

Edit: removed

Good call.

I W00T at EDIT: The w00table thing that was posted and then removed.

I would love for that to be real, but I don't think it is. The way the flyer is being held, the plan names should be slanted like the rest of the columns. But in that picture, they don't have the same pitch as the rest of the table they're in. Someone did a better job at photoshopping than the original "fake" image.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy :P

*hears the Linode secret police coming"

It is real - these were handed out at SXSW. I posted it a week ago or so, but was requested to not post it until all 3 NextGen Blogposts were made, to ensure Linode gets most benefit out of it so they can continue to do things like this in the future.

Unless the final announcement is today, I'm pretty sure they'll request you to remove the image as well.

@Nuvini:

It is real - these were handed out at SXSW. I posted it a week ago or so, but was requested to not post it until all 3 NextGen Blogposts were made, to ensure Linode gets most benefit out of it so they can continue to do things like this in the future.

Unless the final announcement is today, I'm pretty sure they'll request you to remove the image as well.

Once they start handing out flyers that information is out there and there is little point trying to hide it.

I edited my post anyway as a good faith kind of thing. I'll be very happy to get the undisclosed thing that we are talking about.

@sednet:

I edited my post anyway as a good faith kind of thing. I'll be very happy to get the undisclosed thing that we are talking about.

I just can't wait for the official announcement. I've been looking forward to this for quite awhile. mikegrb is dreamy with his clothes on; I can't imagine how wonderful the centerfold will be.

@hoopycat:

@sednet:

I just can't wait for the official announcement. I've been looking forward to this for quite awhile. mikegrb is dreamy with his clothes on; I can't imagine how wonderful the centerfold will be.

The undisclosed thing isn't a 100% bigger dingley dangler.

@sunny256:

…but after the reboot I get 8 gigs more disk space, thanks to the Christmas present from Linode.

((…snip…))

Not me. My uptimes are "horrible" (not really an issue. I could easily do some sort of high-availability load balancing, or temporarily migrate DNS to a different host when I need to reboot) … in my case, the lower uptimes are because my linode is running pvgrub (custom) kernels.

Even if I wasn't running gentoo on this linode (default kernels for gentoo are all "compile your own kernel" even if you use gentoo's genkernel tool to configure it) … historically, I've only rarely ever waited for major linux distributions to build me a new kernel, but more often I've not even used the distro's kernel, or sometimes not even built against their kernel patchset if I had a reason not to (note that linode-provided kernels don't use the "intended" patchset for whatever distro you're on)

I could probably get away with running a linode-provided kernel against gentoo's dependancy system, but since I'm not willing to wait for linode's provided kernels to be updated, and I'd have no guarantees that configured options would be compatible with all my userspace code, or that a provided kernel will have features I need enabled for whatever reason, or other features disabled for performance or security, etc. etc. etc.

My last kernel upgrade was less than 2 months ago, and just a couple releases before 3.7.x kernels were marked "end of life" by the maintainers at kernel.org:

... ~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.7.8 (kuzetsa@yurizoku.tk) (gcc version 4.7.2 (Gentoo 4.7.2 p1.2, pie-0.5.5) ) #2 SMP Sat Feb 16 10:38:10 UTC 2013
... ~ $ uptime
 15:12:54 up 36 days,  3:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

The flyers are being shown on Linode's own blog aggregation site :P The flyer does have certain differences from what is currently advertised, although it's not what I was hoping for…

Part 2 was 11 days after part 1, and it is now 11 days after part 2. Hoping for part 3 :D

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct