Elastix 2.3 Install Guide

Hey guys, thought I'd add this here (as it did take me some time to get Elastix to run on my box)

Elastix is possibly the most powerful packaging of the Asterisk server. Elastix comes as its own distribution built on top of CentOS and for most users going with the Elastix-provided install media is the best process. However, if you wish to install the Elastix packages onto your own install of CentOS, like for times when you need to install to a Xen-based virtual server, then you need to use a different process.

Elastix provides its packages through a standard YUM repository system making it very easy to work with. Using these repos is barely documented, if at all, and not all dependencies are addressed through these repos. Additionally, with the introduction of Elastix 2.x, some of the necessary packages are handled by the Elastix 1.x branch while others are handled by the 2.x branch making the process a little more confusing.

To begin, we need a base installation of the CentOS 5 series. Start with any CentOS 5 minimal install and updated it to the latest patches.

yum -y update

Then we will need to install the EPEL extensions from the Fedora Project.

rpm -ivh ftp://mirror.cs.princeton.edu/pub/mirrors/fedora-epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm

Now let’s add some useful packages that we are sure to want.

yum -y install sysstat fail2ban bwm-ng system-config-securitylevel-tui

To install Elastix itself we need to upload the CD ISO image that we have downloaded from the Elastix website. To make things simple, simply upload it to the /tmp directory of our new server. Once we have the file there, we need to mount it so that we can use it like a local filesystem.

Download the ISO:

cd /tmp/
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/elastix/Elastix%20PBX%20Appliance%20Software/2.4.0/Elastix-2.4.0-Stable-x86_64-bin-04feb2013.iso?r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elastix.org%2Findex.php%2Fen%2Fdownloads%2Fmain-distro.html&ts=1402225510&use_mirror=freefr
mkdir /mnt/iso
mount -o loop /tmp/Elastix-2.4.0-Stable-x86_64-bin-04feb2013.iso /mnt/iso
cd /mnt/iso

In order to utilize the new Elastix repo that we have just mounted we need to create a YUM repo entry for this.

nano /etc/yum.repos.d/elastix-cd.repo

and add this:

[elastix-cd]
name=Elastix RPM Repo CD
baseurl=file:///mnt/iso/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1

And at this point we should be ready to actually install Elastix which is about 266 packages.

yum -y install elastix

Once that completes we will want to reboot. You will want to be connected to the server via the console, not via SSH, as Elastic’s First Boot system will come up and step you through the basic setup of the system which just requires you to set two key passwords. If you are not at the console you will never see this dialog and you will be unaware that the application needs your attention.

Once the system comes back up, we should remove some unneeded services. No need to have extra stuff running. It is unlikely that we will be using iSCSI or NFS on our PBX so we will turn those services off.

(i.e. use the console SSH in your SSH client to connect to your server)

chkconfig iscsi off
chkconfig iscsid off
chkconfig netfs off

2 Replies

Hi.

I followed your instructions and successfully installed Elastix 2.4.0 on a VPS at Linode.com…. thank you.

However I cannot find the A2billing or Vtiger web pages. Could you advise me where to find them or install them if they didn't come with this version of Elastix.

I am also unable to find /etc/asterisk/extensiona2billingadditionals.conf. Do you know where is the location or name of this file in Elastix 2.4.0.

Hello, it was perfect! thanks so much!

But i would like to try with the Elastix-MT o version 3.

Could you tell me any topic regarding the version of the base CentOS or anything else that i want to keep on mind?

Because i followed all the step, but changing the file, and when i run the command ¨yum -y install elastix¨it star to do all but at the end mark some errors… and im not sure about it..

--> Running transaction check

---> Package kernel-headers.x86_64 0:2.6.32-573.12.1.el6 will be installed

---> Package perl-Mail-DKIM.noarch 0:0.39-1.el5 will be installed

--> Processing Dependency: perl(:MODULECOMPAT5.8.8) for package: perl-Mail-DKIM-0.39-1.el5.noarch

---> Package perl-Mail-IMAPClient.noarch 0:3.37-1.el5 will be installed

--> Processing Dependency: perl(:MODULECOMPAT5.8.8) for package: perl-Mail-IMAPClient-3.37-1.el5.noarch

---> Package perl-Parse-RecDescent.noarch 0:1.965-1.el5 will be installed

--> Processing Dependency: perl(:MODULECOMPAT5.8.8) for package: perl-Parse-RecDescent-1.965-1.el5.noarch

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Error: Package: perl-Mail-IMAPClient-3.37-1.el5.noarch (epel)

Requires: perl(:MODULECOMPAT5.8.8)

Error: Package: perl-Mail-DKIM-0.39-1.el5.noarch (epel)

Error: Package: perl-Parse-RecDescent-1.965-1.el5.noarch (epel)

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

[root@li1110-100 iso]# reboot

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct