Any web hosting companies running on Linode?

I've been investigating moving my web hosting company over to linode, at least start a cPanel cluster here.

I recently installed WHM/cPanel on a temporary node and it ran like a dream.

Without wanting to start a flame-war, the only thing that makes me hesitate is the disk-space to price ratio. Apart from that I think linode is fantastic.

So I was wondering are there any hosting companies currently using linode?

15 Replies

@Mr Nod:

I've been investigating moving my web hosting company over to linode, at least start a cPanel cluster here.

I recently installed WHM/cPanel on a temporary node and it ran like a dream.

Without wanting to start a flame-war, the only thing that makes me hesitate is the disk-space to price ratio. Apart from that I think linode is fantastic.

I'm not sure of the TOS here, but I'm wondering where you think you could get a better deal on disk space, for a VPS?

I'm not looking to leave Linode (I love the service here) but maybe test some other services (with a good reputation) just to expand my horizons, gain knowledge, experience, etc. In my ever-elusive spare time.

Actually Lamecheap just sent me a coupon for VPS and I looked at their plans and wow, Linode blows them away, even with the coupon, no comparison. Nothing against Lamecheap though, all my domains are registered there.

Probably this is not the place to discus other VPS options. I'll have to snoop around some other forums.

Every "unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth" company out there oversells.

You too, honestly, can oversell. Nobody is going to eat up your linode's bandwidth. If they do, do what everyone else does: Claim account abuse, terminate their account or make them move to another cluster and pay more.

Some will think I'm joking.

@ferodynamics:

I'm not sure of the TOS here, but I'm wondering where you think you could get a better deal on disk space, for a VPS?

There are lots of places - I'll not name competitors on a Linode forum though :wink: Hence my original question though. Are there web hosting companies running on Linode, or is it too "expensive" in terms of diskspace?

> Every "unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth" company out there oversells.

True, but I'm not an "unlimited" provider :)

It's not a bad idea. That said, shared hosts usually have physical machines of 4gb or more of ram. Depending on how many clients you have you might find better deals and a faster machine going dedicated. If you go with linode consider purchasing big node(s) to start with.

@iml:

It's not a bad idea. That said, shared hosts usually have physical machines of 4gb or more of ram. Depending on how many clients you have you might find better deals and a faster machine going dedicated. If you go with linode consider purchasing big node(s) to start with.

You can always up the linode depending on usage (with outage).

If you know HA methods, you can add an extra IP for $1/month so you can failover between machines to do maintenance with no downtime.

From what I've seen, if you offer web hosting, get a really good setup for web server & php - e.g. nginx & php5-fpm so that you have low, predictable usage of cpu and memory. That should help you scale, too.

I've done some limited web hosting sales on a clients node(he was technically the hosting company, I just did the work). I can say with a great deal of confidence that it can be done. Just do as others have suggested and pick up a beefy node first and use the SOP of disabling clients that are 'abusing' the service. :P

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what you chaps consider a beefy node, but I've got a Linode1024 in London with WHM/cPanel and WHMCS up and running to see how it goes.

At least it's easy to upgrade in the future :wink:

I've run cpanel on less than that you should be fine. It all depends on how many accounts and how much traffic you get.

@Mr Nod:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what you chaps consider a beefy node, but I've got a Linode1024 in London with WHM/cPanel and WHMCS up and running to see how it goes.

At least it's easy to upgrade in the future :wink:

For what its worth, I'm sure you'll manage on a 1024 for quite awhile…assuming certain traffic patterns. It may not last long though….

Best of luck!

@Mr Nod:

Guess I qualify :) We're hosting about 80-100 web sites for clients, distributes over 2 Linode 512's in Newark. And about 150-180 mail accounts on a 512 in Atlanta. All three Linodes are rock solid (needless to say). The mail server just passed 200 days uptime, the two webservers are around 100 days (I rebooted them).

We're a specialty company providing a fully-managed service to local clients. Domain registration, website development, web/email hosting, tech support of every kind. All websites operate in our in-house CMS. Clients can manage their site content, if they need anything else they contact me. There's no control panel (cPanel, Plesk, etc.)

This works well for us… our clientele would much rather pop me an email than bother with a control panel. With one CMS across all websites I can fix/change/update things in minutes without really thinking :)

Linode has been a fantastic provider. Can't say enough good stuff.

Thanks all for the helpful replies - I feel very inspired that Linode is the way to go :D

If you are looking for a web hosting alternative, I would recommend checking out IMASPAMMER… I think you can find some with Linode on there… and if you are looking for an alternative, I would check out IMASPAMMER… sorry to post Linux on here, but I have had good experience with them!

@taylorsummer:

sorry to post Linux on here, but I have had good experience with them!
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Spammers are so pathetically stupid.

have been using linode 512 to host around 60 website .. some of them are really serious :)

Sometimes I feel guilty that I am squeezing enough juice from this poor 512.. but all times it beats me ….

I use ISPConfig … fine tuned apache and mysql … that's all you need :)

Good luck

Richard

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct