Linode Forum
Linode Community Forums
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MembersMembers      Register Register 
 LoginLogin [ Anonymous ] 
Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:23 pm 

Quote:
@carmp3fan, I would not necessarily think so. I am mostly providing services (email, nextcloud etc) for a relatively small group of users, and having block storage in the datacenter would work very smooth in that application - HDD would be perfectly ok for those kind of needs.
I don't disagree on email (somewhat do for Nextcloud considering you can use it directly from S3), but I still don't see it as a big reason for moving to it. I've been using Linode for my own mail server for years and even with my hoarding tendencies for the last 10+ years, I've only accumulated 4.7G, so I run fine on a 1024.

If you'll notice, I didn't say anything about a web server. Mostly because it would likely be cheaper and faster to have the storage intensive photos and videos stored in AWS than on your low-end Linode. That makes assumptions that that is easy to do with whatever software you are using.
Quote:
I am currently using S3 storage with one of the big providers. S3QL actually works very well in that kind of application, since it uses a (large) local cache that is very quick in delivering the items requested often (recent emails, files added and shared in nextcloud etc). You notice waiting times rarely, mostly when looking for a rarely touched file. I was secretly hoping Linode would provide an s3 backend, but whatever way they do their block storage, I'll buy. Nothing beats having it in the same datacenter. And I rather give my (little) money to Linode anyway :)
I've not used S3QL, but it looks like something I should. I really wish someone would create something (I'm not capable) that would use both S3 and BackBlaze B2. Kind of like RAID across providers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am 

This is very awesome, do we know how long roughly beta will last and if more DC's than "NJ" will the service be available for?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:34 pm 

Thanks for getting this going on the east coast first guys. Especially helpful since most of our services are population centric and we want to cater to the bulk of population in the USA. Great work!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:42 pm 

Is the block storage a raw format that will allow us to format it with whatever file system we like?

For example, I'm working on a FreeBSD deployment and would like to use the block storage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:24 am 

Quote:
Is the block storage a raw format that will allow us to format it with whatever file system we like?

For example, I'm working on a FreeBSD deployment and would like to use the block storage.
They are treated as block devices just like the normal disk of your linode. So you can format them with whatever file system you want.
Quote:
block devices and can be formatted and mounted just like any other block device

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm 

Is there any ETA on when this will come out of BETA? I am a bit desperate to move my server back over to Linode because where I am currently the support is absolute trash. But I need Blockstorage! :(

So excited, I hope it goes fully live soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:59 pm 

spun up a $5 linode with 20GB block storage for benchmark testing at https://community.centminmod.com/thread ... post-52259 considerably slower than local SSD storage !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:14 pm 

Twitter: FelicianoTech
I would definitely think it would be slowly as it's remote storage. But your tests say 1.5th the speed? Ouch. I hope that was just a bad scenario. :/

Follow me on Twitter @FelicianoTech.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 am 

Will block storage be available on all regions after beta phase?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:59 am 

Any chance we could get a date for the block storage? Even an estimated date would be useful. We are having a hard time planning ahead without knowing when this service will be available. We are very excited about the block storage and would love to start using it asap. :) Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:47 am 
Linode Staff

Hello,

We've got the second beta cluster in the pipeline. 90% certain it will go to us-west (Fremont, CA). It's looking about 4 or 5 weeks out.

After this one, the remaining DCs will go much more quickly and simultaneously.

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 am 

Great news Caker,

Bit sad to see the 1/5th speeds of local SSD. I understand it's network drives but was hoping it would have a lot smaller gap so it could be used for Databases and such. Will have to see what it is like once it comes out of beta.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:29 pm 

Quote:
Great news Caker,

Bit sad to see the 1/5th speeds of local SSD. I understand it's network drives but was hoping it would have a lot smaller gap so it could be used for Databases and such. Will have to see what it is like once it comes out of beta.
Probably related to triple redundancy feature. Similar performance drop was seen when I tested another provider's Ceph based triple redundant SSD storage.
Quote:
Hello,

We've got the second beta cluster in the pipeline. 90% certain it will go to us-west (Fremont, CA). It's looking about 4 or 5 weeks out.

After this one, the remaining DCs will go much more quickly and simultaneously.

-Chris

Great news !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am 
Senior Newbie

Any updates? When will it become GA?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:41 pm 

We're still working to get this spread across more datacenters, but there's no ETA or announcements to be made at this time.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.