Longview suggestions: alerts, plugins

This Longview thingy is an awesome tool. I guess the next feature to add would be to allow defining thresholds and alerts.

Also custom graphs. Those should not be difficult. A way that allows users to write a plugin and "register" it to Longview with some handler. Part of that could be predefined plugins like Apache and Nginx req/s; MySQL, Postgres qps, etc… Predefined or community driven :mrgreen:

Oh, and the Longview starting page, where the summary widgets are… I think it'd be nice if 'Net' title included current / top bps values just for quick reference:

Net (0.2 Mbps / 4 Mbps) - being current rate and max rate shown by the graph.

Mem, swap and load bars could show absolute numbers (current value) too for quick reference.

7 Replies

We have talked about each of these suggestions! The index page fixes should be on the way. The plugins/alerts are still being discussed. Right now we're testing the current iteration and are working on getting it in tip-top shape.

@Stan_Theman:

We have talked about each of these suggestions! The index page fixes should be on the way. The plugins/alerts are still being discussed. Right now we're testing the current iteration and are working on getting it in tip-top shape.

Alerts would be very nice. Alerting on excessive CPU or Memory use by processes, or by excessive swap, network, or disk usage by the system would be great. Having some easy way to set alerts for all or just selected processes would be very nice.

You could go crazy and add a system to run arbitrary shell scripts to check things which would allow use of the entire suite of nagios plugins.

@sednet:

You could go crazy and add a system to run arbitrary shell scripts to check things which would allow use of the entire suite of nagios plugins.

We've talked about something like this a lot, and we definitely have the option available to us. It's really exciting.

We've still got some work left to make sure this current iteration is perfect before we leave it for greater things. I like talking about them though :D

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering about alerts today while reviewing the Longview page. I'm looking to actual migrate from Copperegg to Longview but alerts are pretty critical for us. Any word on if they will be coming?

Justin

I agree - alerts would add a lot of value to Longview.

@bruce_w:

I agree - alerts would add a lot of value to Longview.

This forces me to use something else. Ideally something that supports both alerts and external publishing (e.g. to a status page).

Since Longview already sees the storage capacity it'd be especially great to be able to alert about that. Other alerts could cover disk and network I/O, but not about the free space because that requires knowledge of the specific OS and file system. The Longview agent overcomes that hurdle, let's capitalize on that, so people don't have to fiddle with weird custom scripts.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct