Longview pricing?

Looks promising,

Do you have a rough idea when we could expect the first non-beta version and the expected price of the pro version?

Thanks,

Paul

9 Replies

Also interested in pricing. I believe currently it displays only 30 minutes in the non-pro version, correct? Would you consider increasing this to 24 hours?

livefree: we've only been in beta for 2 days :) ! I want this thing to launch soon, but we have a lot of stuff to fix/add first. I'm not super privy to the pricing talk besides the fact that nothing is finalized yet. What do you think something like this is worth to you?

Nuvini: Yes, right now the free version is 30 minutes. I think we're open to discussing extending/changing it since we've heard people talk about it in the #linode-beta channel too. What's your reasoning for 24 hours (it's just something to pick because it's a day, 24 hours helps you see a trend, etc)?

24 Hours would be good since indeed - it shows a day, but it also allows me to see what happened during the night.

For example, normally we have about ~6Mbit traffic, but a little while ago, just after I went to bed there was a 20Mbit spike for a little while. Still not sure what caused it. Having 24 hour graphs would help troubleshoot, or at least pinpoint things like this after it occurred.

With 30 minute graphs you'd have to be checking the Linode just as it happened. The Linode Warnings kick in after a 2 hour average, so if you would look straight away after the warning it might already be too late with only 30 minutes of data.

Thanks!

I wanted to add my 2 cents to the pricing discussion. I'm currently using newrelic.com for server stats graphing (which isn't their primary purpose, but it does pretty good for this as well). Just focusing on their server stats graphing features, they have a free version which gives you minute-by-minute updates of an unlimited number of servers with a 24 hour retention. If you pay for 1 app server at their standard level for $24/month (1 year contract required), you get a 7 day retention period for all your servers. If you pay for 1 app server at their pro level for $149/month (1 year contract required), you get unlimited retention. (See http://newrelic.com/pricing for more details.)

For me, I pay for 1 app server at their standard level ($24/month), which gives me the ability to get stats graphs for an unlimited number of servers and find the 7 day retention handles just about all of my needs. I have it monitoring 14 servers right now. For me to move over to Longview Pro, I would want to stay in about the same price range for all of my servers, and not have to pay too much more as I add servers. In other words, if you had a Longview Pro unlimited server plan, my preference would be that it would cost around $24/month or if it was a per server pricing, then somewhere around $1/server/month.

If you have any questions or want more details, let me know.

Thanks,

Carl

Well, if I may contribute a bit too, here's my 2 cents.

Now, I've setup a VPS running Cacti which for me is doing much the same, for me at least. The cost of running this seperate machine isn't much so to be honest I would not be willing to pay a great amount of dough for this particular feature. Also, cacti enables me to view the stats on my iPhone too. Although the graphs are very very slick on the dashboard, I can't view them on a similar slick way on my mobile device too.

Next to cacti I'm using the New Relic application too for monitoring my servers. So what Carl is stating is not that bad too.

Being a one man 'company' I'm spending money on a server here, backup there, a few dollars over there. In the end you're spending huge amounts of $ on many small services.

The actual choice of spending extra on a new feature again will be less easy if it will cost just too much which can be done yourself too with a little extra effort/cost.

Now, to be very honest, since there are many VPS competitors on the market today, I think it might be wise to offer such services as a standard to give you an extra edge. I mean the Linode dashboard is already a winner, but this might even be a extra sellingpoint. I mean, like me, many of your (to be) clients must be suckers for these graphs :)

To continue on my previous post and last remark. I've taken a better look to longview and I must say it's impressive. It's more than just simple graphing of system resources. So forget my last remark although there's some truth to it imho, that's not just the case with longview.

We use CopperEgg at the moment. Puts all our servers on one page and we have it on a 42" monitor in the office. We have about 11 servers with them costing about $50 to $60 per month (although I think the plans may have gone up a bit and we kept on our original price). So we would only use Linodes if pricing and functionality is comparable.

I have tried a lot of systems to find the correct functionality and price, and CopperEgg was the best. Everyone else either did not provide the functionality we needed (mainly all graphs on one page for our monitor), or the price was too high (like New Relic).

We are a web development company that have many small servers (Linodes) with few sites on them, as opposed to a few servers with many sites, and as such do not make a lot or profit from each server. Many companies charge quite a lot for services per server, they don't realise with Cloud/VPSs companies like us may have lots of small servers with less profit, as opposed to few large ones with more profit, so services like New Relic are just not feasible on a per server basis (when you add everything else up like backup too). CopperEgg is low cost per server (well, it was lower when we signed up!). So hope the pricing takes this into account.

Its one reason we can never choose their management service… its on a per server basis (as opposed to any time they spend managing whatever server we have) which wipes out our profit.

Here's what our CopperEgg dashboard looks like https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =1&theater">https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152648974690074&set=o.147177095415017&type=1&theater

I wanted to see if there was any thought from Linode when the Longview Beta would end and what pricing would be afterwards. Longview has been working really well for me, and I'm considering canceling my New Relic account and replacing it with Longview, but I wanted to find out the upcoming plans for Longview. Anything you can share now would be helpful, or even an idea of when you might share an update. :)

Thanks,

Carl

The free 30 minute version of Longview seems like it would be only good for upselling to something that could actually report trends.

24 hours for free seems like it would at least be useful to some people and others would want to upgrade for longer trend reporting.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct