Linode Forum
Linode Community Forums
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MembersMembers      Register Register 
 LoginLogin [ Anonymous ] 
 Post subject: new Linode Manager
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:46 am 

I looked at the new Linode Manager and I'd like to offer my opinion, in case its any help to the developers.

- CSS, why is the new interface not fully responsive? A GUI should start at around 300px width (small iPhone 4) to the full width of a TV. In this case, once the width goes below 800px then it becomes broken and horrible.

- gravatar, personally I don't like to see 3rd party services, especially ones that record and catalogue my whereabouts. In addition, I want my business/work experience to be clutter free from the large javascript files loaded for these 3rd party services. I use "uBlock Origin" to block them.

- google analytics, same deal as the above, google already spies on everything, I'd rather it didn't spy within a tool like the Linode Manager. If you want to gather statistics and usage information, I suggest you use PIWIK, its self-hosted, open source and the data is not shared with anyone.

- linodes list, the linodes table is missing the Plan name, which is very useful for me with 20+ linodes, so I can see how many linodes I have in a particular plan. This information exists in the old Manager.

- linodes list, the status button is very... pale. I like how the popup functionality works, but the colour of the button/text makes it seem like its disabled. The "Reboot" button is a bit better implemented, it is greyed out until I select a linode, at which point it changes colour.

- linodes list, the footer (bottom of the page) is missing the "This Month's Network Transfer Pool" progress bar and the Used/Remaining/Quota counts.

- pace progress bar, the javascript page load progress bar is a waste, I know its fake, it doesn't impress me, no need to burden the manager with extra javascript code.

- linode dashboard, the Access SSH box is really not correct. Once I boot a server, I always change how sshd works, including a change of port, limit access by IP netmask, etc. Thus, command in the SSH may not be usable, depending on the configuration. This also exists in the old manager.

- linode dashboard, the new javascript graphs (Chart.js) are great and a much needed improvement over the old bitmap graphs. But, I need the old method that displayed ALL the graphics on the same page, one below the other. This is integral, because I can compare the CPU usage with the network traffic.

- linode dashboard, the "Host Job Queue" is missing!

- linode dashboard, the network transfer information is missing!

- linode dashboard, the Host (hardware node) name is missing!

- linode dashboard, disk usage is hidden under Linode -> Settings -> Advanced -> Disks. In the old Manager it was also displayed in the dashboard page.

- my profile, the "Authorized Applications" shows that "Linode Manager" is authorized, twice.

- dns manager, the sorting of the domains changed, just point it out, not sure if its on purpose.

- dns manager, the domain name itself was always hidden in the previous Manager. For example:

Previous TXT record:
Code:
Name    Value                        TTL       Options
        v=spf1 +a +mx -all           default   Edit | Remove

New Manager TXT record:
Code:
Name          Value                        TTL       Options
example.tld   v=spf1 +a +mx -all           default   Edit | Remove

Overall, I found the new Linode Manager to be a pleasant experience. I don't like the grey washed-out colour theme, but other than that I'm happy with the improvements.

Post subject: Re: new Linode Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 am 

What improvements? Other than the notifications in the top right corner ( about which i don't really care, i know when i click on a create Linode button , i don't need a red blink reminding me that - but i do miss the per server event log ) i don't see anything new. Maybe the stats/graphics, but i can't get stats for a longer time period than 24 hour, so its pointless . And again i don't really care about stats in Linode manager, because usually i have more complete stats/graphs .

The rest is pretty much the same like on old, just moved around and missing things ( like i quickly created a node, but i see the 'swap<512MB ' thing is still not fixed, just now is harder to resize ( on old manager i could create the main volume with proper size, then grow swap to preferred size. On new i have to wait for creation, then i have to shrink the main volume, then grow the swap, so more work ).

I don't really like the color theme either, old manager has a character, colors are 'driving' my eye to different sections. Now, as you said everything is washed-out, white, making hard to find stuff.

I don't really see the point for changing . Especially since the old manager/design is good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:33 am 

Just noticed : i have a very mixed feelings about 'Mass select linodes' reboot/destroy/etc .

One more thing: In old manager i have an 'important ticket' open, in the new manager i'm not being notified of that.

Last edited by sandor on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 am 

sandor wrote:
Just noticed : i have a very mixed feelings about 'Mass select linodes' reboot/destroy/etc .

an accident about to happen...

rm -rf /

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:04 pm 

IfThenElse wrote:
sandor wrote:

rm -rf /

Maybe needs confirmation with password/2fa code.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 am 

derfy wrote:
IfThenElse wrote:
sandor wrote:

rm -rf /

Maybe needs confirmation with password/2fa code.

I'm not afraid only because accidental deletions.

Usually i don't admin my boxes, so other people, like owners have access to the nodes as well.
And lots of time 'they know better', so they will mass reboot/whatever 20+ nodes, which usually not a good idea . And probably they wouldn't reboot them one by one .
I know other providers allow this, one reason why i have mixed feelings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:02 am 

Everything ifthenelse said.
But really - the new beta manager looks poor. And only one graph at the time? I don't find anything positive about the new one at all. The old one is fine. Don't fix what's not broken.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 am 

About the new graph...

If programmed properly, the new graph has three major advantages:

1) live results! The library Chart.js allows the developer to query (via JSON or whatever) the server for updates, thus the graph will update itself (with a nice animation). This way the graphs become alive and quite helpful because you can leave the browser tab open and monitor the server without refreshing the page.

2) size and speed! The library Chart.js is loaded and cached, thus all graphs are plain-text compressed data remotely loaded, very lightweight with improved performance, especially when browsing via a mobile device.

3) responsive! All graphs produced by Chart.js are highly responsive and will fit even the smallest 300px screen.

The old method of using bitmap images was a rather heavy download and required a refresh if you wanted to update results and was not responsive (if you forced it, images could resize, but they become unreadable).

PS:
It is also possible, to put ALL data in the same graph, thus overlapping the time of the event, useful for comparing a cpu spike with an IPv6 event, that sort of thing.