Linode Forum
Linode Community Forums
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MembersMembers      Register Register 
 LoginLogin [ Anonymous ] 
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:10 am
Posts: 1
Quick and dirty way to have OpenBSD running on your Linode:

1. Create New Linode.
2. Create New Disk
Select unformatted raw 1024MB (make it bigger just in case)
Label Install Disk
3. Create New Disk
Unformatted raw, make is as big as it's allowed.
4. Go to Remote Access and connect to your console either using ajax or ssh
5. Go into Rescue tab and Click Reboot into rescue mode
6. When finnix boots, download installxx.fs using wget
i.e wget http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/s ... stall58.fs
7. check where is your Install Disk located by doing fdisk -l. (most likely sda)
8. dd if=install58.fs of=/dev/sda bs=1M
9. create new configuration
Label: OpenBSD
VM Mode Full-virtualization
Kernel: Direct Disk
/dev/sda OpenBSD
/dev/sdb Install.fs

change boot device to /dev/sdb

10. disable all filesystem/boot helpers

11. Reboot into OpenBSD profile but be careful.. As soon as you see boot> we need to interrupt it by pressing space or something similar. this may require few tries and it usually works better from ajax web console.
You could of course edit install58.fs but I found this unnecessary.
12. execute set tty com0
13. install openbsd
14. change profile to boot from /dev/sda and enjoy!

My ref code in case someone needs a new linode account to try it:
https://www.linode.com/?r=c66d46b6b7b43 ... e486c35c51


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:20 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:33 am
Posts: 103
This is great, glad to see you got it working and thank you so much for outlining the process!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:01 pm 
Offline
Senior Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 12
I wonder why it looks like it is 5.8 in that url y http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/s ... stall58.fs

OpenBSD 5.8

To be released Oct 18, 2015
Copyright 1997-2015, Theo de Raadt.
ISBN 978-0-9881561-6-6
5.8 Songs: "So much better"

Order a CDROM from our ordering system.
See the information on the FTP page for a list of mirror machines.
Go to the pub/OpenBSD/5.8/ directory on one of the mirror sites.
Have a look at the 5.8 errata page for a list of bugs and workarounds.
See a detailed log of changes between the 5.7 and 5.8 releases.

signify(1) pubkeys for this release:

base: RWQNNZXtC/MqP3Eiu+6FBz/qrxiWQwDhd+9Yljzp62UP4KzFmmvzVk60
fw: RWTpkvg4fhJCDx9yL4bUCou/vtAecPVTfcaaGESQeBruwX/qHToMvWh6
pkg: RWRlkI2aFHvL/XGqD+lFerD/xUi/jnAXKwdFQwZDekYwDrEPSpSWgpI9


http://www.openbsd.org/58.html

=======================================================================
Image
So I suggest anyone who is going to try it use mirors from official sources

http://www.openbsd.org/57.html

_________________
“There was no such thing as a fair fight. All vulnerabilities must be exploited.”
― Cary Caffrey
Image
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:12 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:41 pm
Posts: 946
Quote:
I wonder why it looks like it is 5.8 in that url y http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/s ... stall58.fs
Because it is a 5.8 snapshot.
Quote:
So I suggest anyone who is going to try it use mirors from official sources
The New York City BSD User Group does operate an official mirror site.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:31 am 
Offline
Senior Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 12
Quote:
Quote:
I wonder why it looks like it is 5.8 in that url y http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/s ... stall58.fs
Because it is a 5.8 snapshot.
Quote:
So I suggest anyone who is going to try it use mirors from official sources
The New York City BSD User Group does operate an official mirror site.
Thanks for explaining, just it's a good habit to check it instead of using blindly especially with OpenBSD.

_________________
“There was no such thing as a fair fight. All vulnerabilities must be exploited.”
― Cary Caffrey
Image
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:10 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:07 pm
Posts: 4
Just tried this and it worked excellently! I used OpenBSD 5.9 instead of 5.8 (the url to wget is http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/s ... stall59.fs).

Also, you can now just use glish instead of trying to catch the boot prompt in time and set the tty.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:52 pm
Posts: 1
Quote:
Quick and dirty way to have OpenBSD running on your Linode:

1. Create New Linode.
2. Create New Disk
Select unformatted raw 1024MB (make it bigger just in case)
Label Install Disk
3. Create New Disk
Unformatted raw, make is as big as it's allowed.
4. Go to Remote Access and connect to your console either using ajax or ssh
5. Go into Rescue tab and Click Reboot into rescue mode
6. When finnix boots, download installxx.fs using wget
i.e wget http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/s ... stall58.fs
7. check where is your Install Disk located by doing fdisk -l. (most likely sda)
8. dd if=install58.fs of=/dev/sda bs=1M
9. create new configuration
Label: OpenBSD
VM Mode Full-virtualization
Kernel: Direct Disk
/dev/sda OpenBSD
/dev/sdb Install.fs

change boot device to /dev/sdb

10. disable all filesystem/boot helpers

11. Reboot into OpenBSD profile but be careful.. As soon as you see boot> we need to interrupt it by pressing space or something similar. this may require few tries and it usually works better from ajax web console.
You could of course edit install58.fs but I found this unnecessary.
12. execute set tty com0
13. install openbsd
14. change profile to boot from /dev/sda and enjoy!

My ref code in case someone needs a new linode account to try it:
https://www.linode.com/?r=c66d46b6b7b43 ... e486c35c51
Thanks so much for this write-up! I'm a bit stuck on step 9, though. I'm not seeing "Install.fs" in the disc dropdown. Did I miss a step somewhere?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:13 am
Posts: 1
Thanks for sharing


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:04 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 am
Posts: 132
This is fantastic, thank you for outlining this!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: OpenBSD on Linode.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:41 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 376
Website: http://www.jebblue.net
The Linode user community is the best.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
RSS

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group