Is It Possible To Have Multiple Hostname for Multiple Domains in Single Linode?

Hi Guys,

Newbie here.

I just have been using Linode this last few weeks, and I am still stuck on this thing.

I have 2 wordpress websites on my Linode (1 server), but I figured out that it doesn't look good to see my example1.com has a hostname of my test.com.

So I tried to find how to make my example1.com has a hostname of "example1.com", and my "test.com" has a hostname of "test.com", but after days of trying, there was nothing work.

Could you please tell me how to do so?

Kind regards,

Rizakyo

3 Replies

There are a couple of things at play here. First lets assume you actually own 2 domains names.

For the sake of the exercise we will assume you own example.com (substitute your 1st real domain name here) and example.net (substitute your real 2nd domain name here)

You will need a DNS record for example.com and www.example.com

You will need a DNS record for example.net and www.example.net

Setup your webserver for one wordpress site at example.com with an Alias of www.example.com

Setup your webserver for the other wordpress site at example.net with an Alias of www.example.net

You will need 24 to 48 hours for the DNS to work its way around the world.

If you don't actually own 2 domain names (remember you can't just make something up, and you can't use example. anything) then you will need to use subdomains of the domain name you actually own.

For instance, www.example.com and test.example.com where example.com is replaced by the domain name you own.

This should get you started,

Hi Kangaby,

I am really glad that a senior member like you responded my question.

Yes, I do have two domains, which are now I have pointed to my linode (one vps).

The DNS records are set already.

My point was, I wanted to know if it is possible to have different hostname for each of my domains, although they are using a single linode vps.

I want to have:

example.com hostname: jupiter.example.com

example.net hostname: mars.example.net

Because, by default, when I check the hostname using an online hostname checker (check-host.net), both of my domains have a same hostname (lixxx.member.linode.com)

which doesn't seem satisfying.

Please let me know if it is possible or not.

Regards,

Riz

OK, I went to check-host and ran a few domains through it. The answer is probably no.

The hostname is the name of your Linode server. Since you only have 1 Linode, you only have 1 hostname. It's kind of like your first name, you can have only 1 first name.

check-host is probably using a reverse DNS (RDNS) lookup to determine the hostname of your Linode at the IP address of the domain name you type in.

If that is the case, and you have 2 IP addresses, you may be able to set 2 reverse DNS entries for your server so that 10.10.10.1 points to Jupiter and 10.10.10.2 points to Mars, using the real IP addresses and domains of course.

You would then have to host your 2 websites on the different IP addresses, so check-host does the RDNS lookups of the different IP addresses and get different answers for the hostnames.

All this does is hide the fact you are running 2 websites on 1 server, which is not really a big deal in the scheme of things.

If you don't have 2 IP addresses, it's probably not possible.

Edit:

If you are getting the result lixxx.member.linode.com you probably haven't setup the RDNS entry in the Linode control panel.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct