We have a new billing mode that follows the utility / metered / cloud model. Prices stay the same, but now you can pay after instead of pre-paying.
- No calculator required!
- Everything is still bundled together: compute, persistent storage, and network transfer - bundled into a flat rate
- All things have an hourly rate, but also a monthly cap - so everything is very predictable
- Add services, remove services and only get invoiced at the end of each month - no more pre-paying
- You'll get an invoice at the end of each month, for that month's un-invoiced services.
For simplicity. Many cloud providers charge separately for compute power, persistent storage, static IPs, network transfer, each keystroke, etc. We wanted to take the confusion out of it. It's the same Linode servers you know and love, except now you can pay for them hourly - and after, instead of before.
Why this monthly cap thing?
For predictability. Each month has a different number of hours. January has 744. February has 672. April has 720. Imagine if your bill was different every month! To avoid this, we employ a monthly cap on each service. So, in any one month you will never pay more than the monthly cap. And we've priced our hourly rates so even in the shortest month the monthly cap is achieved. Easy and predictable. It's the best of both worlds.
Show me the money!
- Linode 1024 - $0.03/hourly, $20/monthly
- Linode 2048 - $0.06/hourly, $40/monthly
- Linode 4096 - $0.12/hourly, $80/monthly, etc...
How do I participate in the Metered beta?
Soon we'll have an option in the Linode Manager to self-enroll. But for now, please open a ticket
and let us know that you want in.
The conversion is straightforward. You will receive a credit on your account for any unused time on your current billing packages, and then be set up with equivalent metered services. This affects billing only - no Linodes or other stuff will be disrupted. Your account will then be "metered", and any new services you add will get the metered treatment.
Thanks for helping!