Upgrade-a-palooza

Wow- 2gb, SSD, but 64 bit only- I'll take it!

https://blog.linode.com/2014/04/17/lino … much-more/">https://blog.linode.com/2014/04/17/linode-cloud-ssds-double-ram-much-more/

Thanks, guys!

8 Replies

Hrrm… I thought the whole point of the hybrid SSD solution was that we finally could get decent amounts of storage space. Fast enterprise SSDs backed with cheap 7200RPM bulk storage. Going pure SSD means that isn't happening.

The upgrades are fantastic, but the single upgrade we've wanted most from Linode still hasn't happened. Heck, I don't even care if it's NAS/SAN network storage, any way of getting cheap storage on a Linode without hooking it up to a dedicated server or Amazon S3 would be nice.

So my current linode is 32 bit and I was thinking it might be time to set it up from scratch and switch to 64 bit kernels and the new platform. To minimize any down time I assume the best way would be to deploy a new linode to my account, set it up and migrate data and then kill the old linode?

@mosdl:

So my current linode is 32 bit and I was thinking it might be time to set it up from scratch and switch to 64 bit kernels and the new platform. To minimize any down time I assume the best way would be to deploy a new linode to my account, set it up and migrate data and then kill the old linode?

Pretty much, you can swap the IPs if they're in the same datacentre to make downtime last as long as a reboot. (Actually you might be able to swap them live now, I know linode tweaked their networking a bit back not sure if this was one of the upgrades).

@Guspaz:

Hrrm… I thought the whole point of the hybrid SSD solution was that we finally could get decent amounts of storage space. Fast enterprise SSDs backed with cheap 7200RPM bulk storage. Going pure SSD means that isn't happening.

The upgrades are fantastic, but the single upgrade we've wanted most from Linode still hasn't happened. Heck, I don't even care if it's NAS/SAN network storage, any way of getting cheap storage on a Linode without hooking it up to a dedicated server or Amazon S3 would be nice.

Yea, although storage is not an issue for me at this time it would be nice to have a little more. Luckily they do increase it every now and then.

I'm really happy with the SSD's drive.

From the blog post: > All new Linodes will be created exclusively on the new Linode Cloud I probably missed an earlier announcement, but what is the "Linode Cloud' and how is it different from the current infrastructure that is running our existing VPSs?

@Guspaz:

Maybe those wonderful folks at Linode will repurpose the soon-to-be-retiring HDDs and turn them into a Linode Storage Farm of Linode Addressable Storage :wink: hint :wink:

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit on a Linode 1.5 (grandfathered from an old plan). I changed to a 64-bit kernel as per instructions and hit the upgrade button. Relatively instant upgrade to a Linode 3 and I had a Moodle installation running that had some pretty slow page loads before, maybe 2 - 3 seconds. Now they load instantly…

I'll be upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in a couple of months, but I have to say that this is an impressive upgrade.

I'm quite impressed by the upgrade being offered. I'm not using the Node in a significant way so dropping from 8 vCPUs → 2 vCPUs will make little impact.

I've done the switch to using a 64 bit kernel (I'm running 32bit Ubuntu 13.10 atm) and debating about using the opportunity to switch from Ubuntu to Arch.

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct