Game Server

Hello, Not sure if im posting this in the right forum or not. But I'm trying to set up a small game server for me and about 6 friends. According to the page that says Uses for a linode, i can run a game server. I'm trying to run a game server for half Life 2 Deathmatch. I can get everything downloaded and intalled, but when I run the command to start the server, I get this error:

Unable to determine CPU Frequecy

Server exiting on crash.

Any ideas? or can I not run this game?

thanks

14 Replies

I would imagine that it has inbuilt checking to make sure that the server computer is fast enough to run the game… not sure if there is a way arround that on a linode.

Have u looked through the manual to see if there is an option to ignore cpu speed?

srcds_run, which detects the CPU, is a shell script. It's editable and not even required to run your server. It's also a colossal pile of crap, which is as good a reason as any to avoid it.

The binaries that are included after you do a srcds installation that are processor-specific you can use directly to control your server. I highly suggest trying the i686 binary first.

Also, the hlds_linux list is a good resource for help (with just about anything but this). A quick google search will reveal the signup page.

@erikh:

srcds_run, which detects the CPU, is a shell script. It's editable and not even required to run your server. It's also a colossal pile of crap, which is as good a reason as any to avoid it.

The binaries that are included after you do a srcds installation that are processor-specific you can use directly to control your server. I highly suggest trying the i686 binary first.

Also, the hlds_linux list is a good resource for help (with just about anything but this). A quick google search will reveal the signup page.

I'll the i686 thing a try first and tell ya what happends. Thanks :)

okay when I try using the srcds_i686 I get this:

> srcds@users Valve]$ ./srcdsi686 -console -game cstrike -port 27015 +ip 69.93.127.131 +map dmlockdown +maxplayers 8

Failed to open bin/dedicatedi686.so (tier0i486.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

[srcds@users Valve]$

any ideas?

–--------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

i cleard everything, in case I did something wrong, cause before I just copied the files from my computer, but now when I try to do the ./steam update I get this

> [hl2dm@users hl2dm]$ ./steam -command update -game "hl2mp" -dir .

Checking bootstrapper version …

Updating Installation

Unable to determine CPU Frequency

[hl2dm@users hl2dm]$

Can anyone help me please?

thanks

Is steam a binary or a shell script?

If it's a shell script, see if it calls srcds_run, if so, try taking it out?

It's a binary, and I'm having this same problem right now. Very frustrating.

–Xel

That's because UML's /proc/cpuinfo file doesn't contain the information your program is looking for.

You can grab a /proc/cpuinfo file from another host and then bind mount it on top of your Linode's /proc/cpuinfo.

-Chris

@caker:

That's because UML's /proc/cpuinfo file doesn't contain the information your program is looking for.

You can grab a /proc/cpuinfo file from another host and then bind mount it on top of your Linode's /proc/cpuinfo.

-Chris

How might I go about doing this?

i think something like this:

mount –bind SRC DEST

maybe in your case:

mount --bind /etc/fake_cpuinfo /proc/cpuinfo

if you need a cpuinfo file, this may work for you.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2393.024
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
bogomips        : 4789.92

It would be great if you could keep us up to date on how well your server runs once you've got it set up. Source servers can be quite resource intensive so it'd be interesting to see how they cope with limited memory, particularly when contending for CPU during peak times.

Ive run a CS:S GunGame server and a CS:S ZombieMod Server.

Now, those of you who know about CS:S, a ZombieMod is essentially a few players killing 30+ AI Bots (Zombies). I have found that you get a lot of CPU Usage, but absolutely no lag on a 32 man server running on a Linode 256.

On the otherhand, for some reason the GunGame is extremely laggy, even when running by itself. This may be an issue with the server configuration no my part though.

Thanks,

Smark

My server actually runs pretty good :o) Thanks for the help! Its a HL2 Deathmatch Server, I've got it set up to hold 8 players, and it runs fairly smooth. I'm running several mods, Metamod, Mani, IRCBot, and a few others and it runs great :)

What's your server name or I.P. address? If public, I'd like to frag some fellow linoders!

IP is 64.62.190.72, I have it currently off right now… I'm in the process of making some custom maps. But I have a clan, our website is http://www.hl2stk.net, we have 3 other servers you are more then welcome to play on :o)

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct